Eu adoro conhecer bebezinhos! Essa bebezinha, Eloah Stela, é muita preciosa e a família dela é maravilhosa. Depois do ensaio o Shasta perguntou para mim se ele podia ver o bebê. Quando ele viu ela, ele disse, “Mamãe, é uma … Continue reading
I have been having so much fun with my oils! I received my Premium Starter Kit from the company Young Living last week and since then have tried lots of different “recipes” and diffuser blends! Here’s what I’ve tried and loved so far:
- Probably my favourite thing to do with the oils is just diffuse them around the house. I love putting the diffuser in the bathroom when I have a shower. It’s like having my own mini-spa. My favourite blends are “Stress Away,” “Joy,” “Purification,” and a combination of lavender, lemon and peppermint(LLP).
- I made an AWESOME outdoor lotion. Using a recipe from The Peppermint Wind, I combined six tablespoons of melted coconut oil with 50 drops of peppermint oil and 20 drops of lavender. I rub it on my arms, legs and feet before going to the playground and it is extremely effective. Of the six or seven times I’ve used it, I only got one bite on my foot, and I think that was because I didn’t apply it well. Usually I get at least three or four bites every time I go to the playground. Yay!
- I love diffusing lavender in Sebastian’s bedroom. The first four nights I did this, he had much better sleeps, especially in the evening portion, which is normally quite broken. After the fourth night I ran out of lavender oil(already! Ahh! I didn’t think that would happen!) Since I order the oils online and they take a little while to get here, I went to our local pharmacy and bought a different brand. I don’t know anything about the brand, so I am only diffusing it(rather than using it on my skin). The fifth, sixth and seventh nights I diffused this other brand(and honestly I think it’s just a coincidence), but he woke up a lot. He was teething these nights so I am blaming that. I also like to put a couple of drops of lavender on my pillow before I go to sleep. It is absolutely heavenly.
- I have been loving a blend called Thieves, which is a mixture of cloves, rosemary, eucalyptus, lemon peel, and cinnamon bark. It smells exactly like how you expect autumn to smell. It is amazing. Young Living has a great line of natural cleaning products with this oil.
- Peppermint has been another favourite. I like to add one or two drops to a spoonful of coconut oil when I do my oil pulling every night, giving it a nice flavour. I’ve also used lemon and thieves and they’re great too. Lemon oil is supposed to help whiten teeth so I put a drop on my toothpaste once in a while.
- I made this face lotion with frankincense and lavender. It’s only my fifth time using it tonight so I can’t report any results yet but I am enjoying how it smells and feels.
- I used tea tree oil today to deal with my ant problem. We have tiny ants in our kitchen. In the past I have solved this by placing ant poison in their path. But this time the ants have been sneaky and don’t seem to have a path or source – I just always see one or two whenever I open the cupboards. So today I put four drops of tea tree on a cloth and rubbed it all over the bare cupboard and doors, and then I left the cloth in the corner of the cupboard. Haven’t seen the little guys since. Let’s hope it stays that way…
If you have any questions or interest in buying some oils or the Starter Kit, please don’t hesitate to ask! You can leave a comment here or email me at email@example.com.
Yippee! Today I received my Premium Starter Kit from Young Living Essential Oils!
Have you heard about essential oils yet? Before this year I didn’t know much, but lately they’ve been popping up all over my Facebook and Instagram feeds. A couple of months ago I attended an online class about a brand called Young Living, where I learned about the benefits of several different oils. I loved what I heard and really wanted to try them out for myself. So you can imagine my excitement when a friend bought me the Starter Kit, which includes a diffuser, ten different oils, and some samples of other products. When you purchase a Starter Kit you become a member of Young Living, meaning you can buy all of their products at the wholesale price(a 24% discount from the retail price). You can also sell their products, and/or the Kit, to other people, earning a commission. There is no pressure to sell on a consistent basis, but there are definitely incentives. That’s a topic for another time!
I will be sharing my experiences with essential oils and Young Living here on the blog. I’m really excited to try them out. I’m sure you agree that using natural products is better for our health and for the environment, and I’m going to try making my own insect repellent, ant killer, deodorant, face cream, mouthwash, teeth whitener, disinfectant spray, other household cleaners, and anything else my family might need! I’ll be reporting my triumphs(and failures!) right here on the blog. I promise to be totally honest. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
There is a plethora of information on line about Young Living, but a good place to look for more information is their website! www.youngliving.com
I’m pinning things on Pinterest like a crazy person… check out my board!
I am very excited about this new journey and I really appreciate your support!
Want more information about the Starter Kits?
It’s hard to believe, but on the third of September we completed one year of living in Brazil! It’s been quite a year, full of change and challenges, but it’s been good. I think we’ve all adapted quite well and are feeling … Continue reading
I’m gonna be honest with you. I do not read the newspaper, listen to the radio, or watch the news on TV. I know I should, but I have my excuses: I’m too busy. I don’t have a TV. Most of what I read online goes over my head. Deep down I know that it is important to be informed about what is happening in the world. I was reminded of this last week, and I decided to take action. I subscribed to a few CBC podcasts, and on Tuesday I listened while doing the dishes. “This is great,” I thought. “I’m being informed while being productive.” (I love multitasking)
But then I was listening, and I remembered the REAL reason I don’t keep up with the news.
It is too sad.
I am an empath: one who feels the emotions of others. The news that night was full of death, death, and more death. After the half hour was up, I felt sad and hopeless. I tried to distract myself by checking Facebook, and it was then I saw the image of the tiny Syrian boy, dead on the beach. A number of thoughts ran through my head as I processed this image, and I shared them with Nuni later that evening as I sat on the couch and wept. I was angry at the photographer for taking such a personal, devastating photo, angry at her for sharing it online, and for making me so sad. I was distressed by the hate, the killing, and the injustice of this situation. Listening to the news reminded me that our world is in a bad place. I don’t like thinking about these things, feeling hopeless and sad. I would rather just ignore it all and be happy in my own little bubble.
A few days have passed since I first saw the image, and I have some new thoughts. There have been so many posts on Facebook about Syrian refugees: political posts, petitions, and places to donate to. It made me realize that that photograph, although so shocking, so heartbreaking – it was powerful. It has caused people to think, and to act. I pray that Aylan’s death will spark fury in our hearts and cause us to help in whatever way we can. I signed this petition on Amnesty International’s website to call on the Prime Minister and all party leaders to increase Canada’s contribution to the Syrian refugee crisis. I donated to Winnipeg’s Refugee House. This story has broken my heart, and I’m sad and mad that I can’t fix it… but if we each do a little bit, together we can do a lot.
I don’t want to listen to the news, but I’m going to try. We all have a responsibility to be informed and to help however we can.
Meet this lovely couple, Jamie and Alan! Jamie was one of the first friends I made when I arrived in Floripa last year through a Facebook page for “Gringos”! She is from England, Alan from São Paulo. The two of them … Continue reading
There is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
It’s been just over a year since we left Watson Lake. In the months and weeks leading up to our departure, I kept telling Nuni, “I don’t think I’ll really miss people here. I don’t think I’ll miss Watson.” Deep … Continue reading
Eu adorei conhecer Mariana e Hugo, eles são pessoas muito queridas! Foi um prazer trabalhar com eles e vai ser legal conhecer o bebezinho! Clique nas fotos para entrar o slideshow! ————————————————————————— I loved meeting Mariana and Hugo, they are such … Continue reading
Uhul! Hoje eu fiz o meu primeiro CAKE SMASH no Brasil! Eles são tão divertido. Este pouco, Maria Catherine, não estava interessado em esmagando o bolo… mas as fotos ainda ficou ótimo. Ela é uma personagem tão linda! Sua família … Continue reading